Monday, February 04, 2008

 

Lifting

Most boy dogs choose to lift their leg while peeing...but not Teddy. He just takes a slightly wider stance on all fours. I'm not sure if lifting the leg is instinctual, or if some dog centuries ago decided that it was just the "cool" thing to do. Well, I was out walking Teddy and Dolly at the same time one of my neighbors was walking his [male] dog. Teddy watched as the other dog walked proudly up to a tree and lifted his leg. Then Teddy walked up to the closest tree and paused. He was about to assume his normal peeing position, but, since the other dog was watching (as well as Dolly and several squirrels), Teddy decided to try to lift his leg. I was pretty suprised. It was kind of emotional...watching my little baby try to do a grown up pee. Dolly seemed unimpressed. It was obvious that he was a novice at this. He was pretty wobbly on just three legs, and was having trouble keeping the lifted leg steady. First his leg was too low, then up too high...it was like watching a beginner yoga class. Then he began to release his bladder...and, just as he had a steady stream going, he toppled over mid-pee. Poor Teddy. He was so embarrassed...I was so embarrassed. Dolly smiled and wagged her tail (she seems to get pleasure out of watching him fail). I wouldn't be suprised if this scars him for life.

Comments:
hey that is intersting. Harley does the same thing but sometimes lifts the leg and other times does not.
 
So did Haskell. He totally fell over midstream about a month ago. Then, because I was laughing at him, he started to bark at me - almost as if he were saying, "You didn't see it! It didn't happen! Shut up!" Tres humorous! I still giggle when I think about it...
 
Oh, poor Teddy! He's trying to be like the other dogs. Just be yourself, Teddy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?