Sunday, November 06, 2005

 

Nuts For Mutts: A Family Outing

My roommate went out of town for the weekend. So once again, I was left home alone with Mikey. Out of all of the stupid things I could possibly think of to do, I decided to have a friend over to watch scary movies...which was fine until my friend had to go home. Every little noise made me jump, and, every time I walked around the corner, Mikey was waiting to suprise/ give me a heart attack. It was no wonder that the little amount of sleep I was able to get was packed with nightmares that had me waking up in a sweat afraid to fall back asleep.
I was a little shocked when my phone started ringing about a quarter to eight. It was PIB, wandering if I was gonna go on the "Nuts for Mutts" fun run to raise money for the SPCA. Personally, I think that anyone functioning in a peppy mood that early on a Saterday morning should be shot. I have never been a morning person, but PIB put me on this horrible guilt trip about how I had a responsibility as Dolly's owner to walk her in the fundraiser. She went on and on about how Dolly had been looking forward to this event all week, and how excited Dolly was, and that all of Dolly's friends were gonna be there, but that she was just gonna have to break it to her that, "I'm sorry Dolly, but your mother would rather sleep in this morning than walk you in this event." Geeze! Of course I got up and went to the fundraiser. I just wish that someone would have given me at least a 24 hour notice before calling me at the ass crack of dawn.
I was a little shocked at how little faith they had in me this morning. Right as I opened my door, Mr. PIB was standing there to make sure I wasn't gonna try to back out at the last minute. My eyes were still so tired that they were burning, and Gypsy licking me in the ear right as I got into the car did not improve my mood much...nor did PIB's singing of "You Are My Sunshine" for that matter.
Apparently there were several fundraiser walks going on today because at one point Grammy Pammy and I took a wrong turn and ended up walking a couple of blocks with a group trying to raise money for people with diabetes. That wasn't awkward...especially when Grammy Pammy turned to some (ahem) "larger" people and asked them why they weren't "strutting their mutt." Other than that, the walk was fun. I was actually really glad that I went...until the end of the race when the family started teasing me again about how they refer to me as "the family flake." I really felt like I deserved more credit for tolerating their behavior at the ridiculous morning hour, but I really was too tired to complain. If it wasn't for Dolly, I would never put up with such abuse.

Comments:
You so knew about the event, like, months ahead of time. We'd been talking about it on and off, and you seemed REALLY excited about going.

I emailed you all of the information and NEVER heard back. I EVEN called you the day before to remind you.

Who knows why you thought we were picking you up at a quarter of nine? We were always picking you up at a quarter of eight!

Oh, and by-the-way, I was only singing YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE because someone was incredibly grumpy Saturday morning. Next time, I won't sing. Instead, Mr. Pib will tie you to the top of the car. That way, no one will have to deal with the "Little, black raincloud" in the backseat ever again.

Just so you know, Dolly's solution to the "Saturday-morning-flakey-gnome-problem" was to tie you up and gag you. Dolly then wanted me to tie her leash around your waist and put your roller blades on your feet. That's right! Dolly was prepared to pull you on the walk - that's how much she wanted to go! She wasn't going to accept "NO" for an answer. You are SO lucky that you got in the car the other morning (I won't even TELL you what Dolly wanted me to do if you refused).

And then, the flakey gnome decided not to go horseback riding with Grammy Pammy. Poor Grammy Pammy. Poor Buddy. I do believe the PROPER terminology is "The Family Flake". And, YES, it is a completely appropriate nickname!

Hehe. :P

So there!
 
Oh, one more thing.

The name of the event on Saturday was:

STRUT YOUR MUTT

"Nuts for Mutts" is a dog show on Animal Planet.

Just thought that I would clarify...

(haha...my word verification is "dogwg")!
 
Grammy Pammy went riding on Saterday? Don't you know I have selective hearing?!?
 
*SatUrday*
 
I used to go on a fundraising walk for juvenile diabetes every year, and they always (very kindly, I think) provide food before the walk. Last year, they had, among other thing, Krispy Kreme donuts (or doughnuts, if you prefer). Donuts. For people with diabetes. Go figure.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?